The Pearl City Neighborhood Board recognized Manana Elementary School Hawaii Robofest teams at their April meeting (4/12/2017). Congratulations to Coaches Lynn Okamura, Janet Okamura and Kellie Hatten and their 5 robotic teams for competing in the 10th annual Hawaii Robofest Regional Qualifier held on April 8th at Pearl City High School.
Kudos to all the Manana teams with special shout outs to: 1) the Manana Ke‘oke‘o Destroyers who took first and the People’s Choice Award in the Exhibition category and 2) The Manana RoboTeam who received a People’s Choice and Helping Hands Award in the RoboParade category.
Special congratz to Coach Lynn Okamura (photo above, far right) who was recognized at the Regional event for her 10 years of coaching service to students at Manana Elementary! Coach Okamura was presented with a certificate and check for $100 during Hawaii Robofest’s 10th Anniversary celebration.
Read more about them here: http://www.mypearlcity.com/story/education/manana-elementary-places-1st-2nd-robofest-2017
The 10th annual Hawai‘i Robofest Regional Event was held this year at Pearl City High School on Saturday, April 8th, 2017. There were 66 teams (a record!) at the event from 19 different elementary and middle schools.
A big “MAHALO!” to the Pearl City High School Robotics Club for hosting us again. Special thanks to our Sponsors and Community partners for their generous support and to the over 100 community volunteers who helped make the event a resounding success!
In celebration of our 10th anniversary, the following were recognized for their 10-year perpetual commitment to providing scholastic robotics learning opportunities to students through the Hawai‘i Robofest program:
- Coach Lynn Okamura, Manana Elementary School
- Principal Bryan Loo, Manana Elementary School
- Principal Stacie Kunihisa, Kanoelani Elementary School
- Principal Amy Martinson, Highlands Intermediate School
- Principal Gavin Tsue, Palisades Elementary School
Last, but not least, KUDOS to all the coaches, parents, teachers and school administrators for their support and to all the hard working students who demonstrated their innovative minds and technical skills. Well done!
2017 Regional RESULTS:
Main Category: EXHIBITION
- 1st Place: Manana Elementary, Team 784-1 “Ke‘oke‘o Destroyers”
- 2nd Place: Highlands Intermediate, Team 2545-1 “Highlands”
- 3rd Place: Kanoelani Elementary, Team 2424-3 “Pet Sitters”
- Peoples’ Choice Award: Manana Elementary, Team 784-1″Ke‘oke‘o Destroyers”
- Helping Hands: Kanoelani Elementary, Team 2424-3 “Pet Sitters”
Main Category: ROBOHIT (Game)
- 1st Place: Pearl City Highlands Elementary, Team 2748-2 “Peaches Bots”
- 2nd Place:Pearl City Highlands Elementary, Team 2748-1 “Peaches Fire”
- 3rd Place: Keoneula Elementary, Team 2040-2 “Cub-bots 2”
- 4th Place: Keoneula Elementary, Team 2040-1 “Cub-bots 1”
- Judges’ Choice: Ka Waihona PCS, Team 1994-2 “KWON Robotics” (for good attitude, perseverance)
Open Category: Bottle SumoBot
- 1st Place: Kalihi Kai Elementary, Team 2758-3 “Super Sumo Lettuce”
- 2nd Place: Kalihi Kai Elementary, Team 2758-1 “Fat Little Llamas”
- 1st Place Time Trial: Kalihi Kai Elementary, Team 2758-1 “Fat Little Llamas”
- 2nd Place Time Trial: Kalihi Kai Elementary, Team 2758-3 “Super Sumo Lettuce”
- Helping Hands: Kalihi Kai Elementary, Team 2758-1 “Fat Little Llamas”
Open Category: RoboParade
- 1st People’s Choice Award: Nanakuli Elementary, Team 1931-8 “1931F”
- 2nd People’s Choice Award: Manana Elementary, Team 784-3 “Manana Robo Team”
- Helping Hands: Manana Elementary, Team 784-3 “Manana Robo Team”
MAHALO! to Lawrence Technological University and all our 2017 Sponsors and Community Partners:
- High Technology Development Corp (Ilima Sponsor)
- Friends of Hawaii Robotics (Ilima Sponsor)
- Hawaii Academy of Science (Plumeria Sponsor)
- Pearl City High School Robotics Club
- Highlands Intermediate School
- Waikele Elementary School
- Honowai Elementary School
- Flo’s Min Flower Shop
- Finance Factors
For more information, please contact us at info[at]hifusioned.org or call 808.988.1931. Visit the national Robofest website for exhibition and game rules, too: http://www.robofest.net.
A big MAHALO to Friends of Hawai‘i Robotics (FoHR) for co-sponsoring the 2017 Hawai‘i Robofest program and Regional Qualifier! FoHR supports K-12 scholastic robotics programs statewide. We are proud to be an FoHR sponsored robotics program and are extremely grateful for their continued support.
On Saturday, January 23rd, 2016, the 9th annual Hawai‘i Robofest season kicked off at Highlands Intermediate School in Pearl City. Our co-emcees, Sandy Ahu and Liz Shigeta (2016 HRF Organizing Committee Members), and Activity Chairs shared important information with attendees including the presentation of a brand new activity – RoboParade!
Special thanks to Ms. Sandy Park for joining us at the Kickoff. Ms. Park is the Program Director at the High Technology Development Corp (HTDC), one of this year’s sponsors. HTDC is a State agency that provides key resources to develop and retain high tech in Hawai‘i. Other 2016 sponsors are Friends of Hawai‘i Robotics and the Hawai‘i Academy of Science.
Many thanks to the 2016 Organizing Committee members who volunteer countless hours to insure that all Hawai‘i Robofest activities and events run smoothly each year. They are:
- Sandy Ahu, Program Director
- Elizabeth Shigeta, Advisor
- Leialoha Kelekolio, Exhibition Co-Chair
- Cathy Watanabe, Exhibition Co-Chair
- Ranold Fujioka, Jr., Game Chair
- Alex Yamada, Bottle Sumo Chair
- Lisa Higa, RoboParade Chair
- Gayle Loui, Scheduling Co-Chair and Awards Chair
- Jodi Funasaki, Scheduling Co-Chair
- Mark Yamashita, A/V Director
- Brian Shono, Head Game Judge
- Arlene Kihara, Event Coordinator
- Lynn Fujioka, Official Hawai‘i Site Host (HI FusionED)
2016 Kickoff Co-emcees, Sandy Liz
Committee Members: Lisa, Cathy and Lei
2016 Hawaii Robofest Regional Qualifying Tournament (9th annual) will be held on Saturday, April 9th, 2016, at Pearl City High School. For registration and more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mahalo!
- Exhibition (open theme)
- Gaming (golf theme)
- Bottle SumoBot
- RoboParade (NEW!)
Thanks to Finance Factors, Hawai‘i Robofest Exhibition project finalists are being showcased at the downtown Honolulu branch (1164 Bishop Street). The display will be up until June 26th, 2015. Please drop by and take a look!